Friday, June 15, 2007

the family




Wow. My family is from Italy. Today I was able to visit the town that my grandmother grew up in. I saw the houses she lived in and walked down some of the same streets she walked in her youth. I was amazed at how much I felt going there. Savingano is a beautiful town. It reminded me a bit of the small town I grew up in, only there were a lot more people out and about, enjoying the town than where I grew up. Ther weather was pretty stormy which is quite unusual for this time of year. Bruno and Ada keep telling me that there are mountains, but I'm finding it hard to belive them because I haven't seen any yet. They showed me a photo but it could've been doctored, photoshop is an amazing program!!! After we toured aroung the town we went back to Corrado's house, another distant cousin of mine. He looks an awful lot like my dad and my Nonnie and it was very special getting to meet him. He tooks us to an fabulous resturant in the next town over and we had the lunch to top all lunches!! It was a parade of all of my favorite foods from Italy. The reason they were all my favorites is that my Nonnie cooked food from the reigon of Piedmont and Corrado told the cook to feed us only food from the region. We ate so much that I went into a food coma in the car and passed out on they way to Damanhur, the next stop on my journey. It was hard saying goodbye to the fam. Who knows if and when I'll ever see them again. It was a really great feeling connecting to my roots. I love community so much and family is the start of community. I am so grateful for this chance to connect and to meet the people who have the same ancestors as me.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Darling girl, you will never know how precious it is for me to hear you are doing so well, and connecting with the Frutteros. Your dad's cousin Corrado is one of my all time favorites and I am delighted to see him looking so well! His father Zio Mario, Nonni's brother, was a darling too! Blessings to you and to all who have treated you with welcome as returning family to your ancestral nest.
Love and aloha, Momma