Wednesday, July 11, 2007

hometown





Today I had the opportunity to see the town where my grandfather was born and grew up in. The Bernardi family still owns a couple of homes in the town and they spend every August here relaxing. It’s about a twenty-minute drive outside of L’Aquila through beautiful country. This region of Italy has really moderate weather in the summer. It’s about 65 today with a nice breeze. Absolutely beautiful! In the winter it snows and is freezing. Pedicciano is a tiny town that dates back to the Middle Ages. I think I understood that farmers have always lived in this area. The town’s current population is a whopping 70 people. The houses have small gardens where people grow there own fruit and veg. I was full of emotion visiting the town. I could almost feel my grandfather’s joy that I was able to see the place where he was from. I also had the chance to see a picture of his mother Francesca. After I asked to go to the cemetery so I could pay my respects to the family. I also had the chance to pick some green beans for dinner form the garden. It really made me want to have a garden, but I’m not sure I would be a very good gardener. Oh well, at least I had the chance to pick my own veggies once in this life. All of the photos today are from the town of Pedicciano, and the house is the one where my grandfather was born.

No comments: