Saturday, April 28, 2007

can’t wait to get on this train





London. I used to think I loved it here. I’m not complaining, well maybe just a bit, but I don’t understand how anyone lives here and is happy. I guess that’s why I could do it before because I was so not happy. The last few days has felt like a month. It was a chore. I was hoping for an easier time, but I just didn’t luck out that way. Easy in London seems to be directly proportional to the amount of money that you have. I was trying not to spend money unless I had to, and unfortunately I had to quite a bit. The exchange rate (2 dollars for every 1 pound) made me more panicky than I have felt in a long time around money. I think it has to do with the fact that one pound really is like one dollar. You get the same bang for your not buck!
All that aside, yesterday when I finally met up with my friend Amy, we had a great time. She is currently on a break after performing for the last few years with a cabaret show that toured around the world and is based out of a Speigltent in Germany. I mention the Spiegaltent because it’s the same kind of tent that Teatro Zinzanni uses. She even knows some of the performers that used to perform when I worked there. Her show was very similar, only they didn’t have dinner like Zinzanni. Amy was looking for acts for a show she is helping to produce here in London and so we went to eight hours of comedy. That’s right people eight hours. The first four were spent at a Woman’s comedy night at a club called Turnstiles in East London. I got lost going to the bathroom when I realized that had once had a job working there decorating for a club night. Yet another blast from the past. The ladies did there best under the circumstances (there were 10 of us in the audience and 5 were there for dinner and not for the show) after we escaped, I mean left, we headed over to a great cabaret show at proper comedy club. The first act was by a guy named Frank Isanazi. He was dressed in a Frank Sinatra type outfit except his hair and mustache looked very similar to Hitler. He then sang Frank’s songs with the words rewritten as if Hitler had written them. The most particularly offensive one was called “Auwishcraft” It was hilarious!!
I’m getting ready to get on the train to Gatwick Airport. I am very pleased that the moving with all my stuff part of the trip is almost over. I feel a small attack of princess every time I have to lug my stuff somewhere. Goodbye London, may we only meet again if I’m so rich that I don’t care how expensive you are!!

No comments: