Sunday, April 29, 2007

not going to win the amazing race




For those of you out there who don’t know what the amazing race is, don’t worry about it; just don’t ask me to be on your team. I was really bad at navigating my way from London to my hostel in Venice. First of all I have too much stuff. I really thought I had done a good job packing until I had to carry it for three hours. I thought I had it I figured out how to get to where I was going, once I arrived in Venice. I mean I spent an afternoon at the apple store in London using there free internet, gathering all sorts of useful information, heck I even helped some tourists at the airport in Venice find the ticket counter. All of that hard work would have been great if I didn’t miss the bus from the airport cause I walked half a mile out of my way to what I thought was the bus stop. When I finally arrived at the water bus stop to take the boat into Venice, I missed all of my boats cause I kept asking Italians where to go and they all had great ideas that meant me walking back and forth between docks, effectively missing every boat. When the last boat left I broke down crying, (for only the second or third time that day) and sat down and said a prayer, thanking the universe for this excellent opportunity for faith. After my eyes had dried this friendly Sri Lankan man, who lives here in Venice now, took my bag (I know, I know, that’s how you get your stuff stolen but he didn’t seem as fast as me so I took the chance) carried it to the other dock, and then proceeded to take me on two boat transfers to make sure I arrived at the front door of my hostel safe. He did try to pet my hair on the way over, which I thought a bit forward until another Italian guy sat down next to me and started pet my hair. I thanked them both nicely and said “basta!” my new favorite word. The hostel was this huge building with giant doors and really small signs to direct you around once inside. I arrived at 1:15am (only three hours after my flight) and my entire room was asleep. Ten beds on a Saturday night asleep?? I thought this was very strange for a youth Hostel UNTILL I woke up at 6:00 to find a bunch of women in their 60’s running around getting ready. Then I went to the bathroom and someone had stolen all of the toilet seats. I mean really, how much can you even get for a dozen toilet seats? I was really excited about the free breakfast cause I missed dinner the night before. I had been dreaming of eggs and bacon and yummy croissants, instead I got a baguette and a cappuccino, which was really good for free coffee, but not quite what my stomach was hoping for. I then proceeded to go the total opposite direction of where I was supposed to meet my host for the next month. I had to take a boat back to my starting point and then I walked through the town up and down a million steps and a dozen little bridges with all my stuff. Yep, ahh ha, feels good, that’s right!! I finally got where I was supposed to be and met the loveliest girl named Elena who didn’t speak any English so we just smiled a lot. She took me to my Hosts house because he’s in San Francisco on holiday right now. His name is Pietro and he comes home tomorrow. I think we are going to get along swimmingly. His house is right on a canal and its full of South American artifacts. He is a surgeon for a living, and from the looks of things very well traveled. I can’t wait to meet him. He has a Mac too!

1 comment:

Adriana said...

sitting here worried about getting from the paris airport to my lodging tomorrow... you, as always, make me feel better. the universe does provide, doesn't it? how nice of it.

love you