Tuesday, May 1, 2007

may day in the campo


Today was a national holiday in venice. My roomate arrived home late last night and we started to get to know each other a bit. Pietro has never had a student in his house before, so I'm trying my best to tread lightly. He speaks some english so we can communicate if we both work at it. We had breakfast together and then I headed out to Campo della Bragora to hear a band play. Campos are square's where people hang out or meet each other. This Campo had a pottery exibit today and live music. A new friend of mine, Marcello, is the drummer for the band. I had the pleasure of meeting all of his friends who came out to see the band play. They treated me like family and we danced and soaked up the beautiful venitian sun. Afterwards we went to Marco's home to eat dinner. I wasn't surprised ( well just a bit) when we got to the house that the woman were expected to cook. I jumped in to help Suzzana and enjoyed the meal we had together. Marco is a painter and the house was full of his beautiful paintings. I have been invited to Bologna for the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Deb said...

have you noticed the little old lady in the photo with the band guys singing? looks like a skinnier version of your little Nonna woman!